Ethos Community

Advances in Digital Storage has Made Other Changes Possible

Consider this info graphic that presents the Evolution of Storage

http://visual.ly/evolution-storage

I recall when one floppy disk seemed like plenty of space.

It was shocking for me to run of room the first time.

Then after a few years I had dozens of disks and had trouble finding files.

Today an external hard drive can hold 1 terabyte.

That is a thousand gigabytes.

The price is less than one hundred dollars.

A friend that makes videos says that is not nearly enough space for her.

In order to do all we can offline and online these devices need lots of storage.

Surely the capacity will increase and the price will decrease for many years.

What stories do you have related to storage, memory, advancing technology, etc.

What do you think the next 5 to 10 years will hold? 

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember the intense frustration when my floppy disks corrupted. And then I moved on to Zip drives (and was so pleased with the amount of data they held). But now I'm working with multimedia a lot, my trusty portable hard drive has gigabytes of storage, and I'm looking to see when I can afford bigger.

However, still issues with disks corrupting, so I'm using the cloud a lot for storage. Most of my images are in Flickr / Picasa, most of my videos in BlipTV/You Tube/iTunes, docs in Google Docs/Scribd, presentations in Slideshare, etc etc. And I feel that by building some redundancy into that system I feel a little less concerned about a provider going under (but would be devastated if Flickr goes.... :-(

So - next 5-10 years, I think more and more people will be storing in the cloud (for a lot of really good reasons). I'd say that services like Drop Box, for example, will proliferate. I also think that the nature of data and data retrieval will change in response to this shift in behaviour...and as a results Creative Commons and the like will increase in importance. 

A final observation about storing in the cloud - it makes a lot of sense environmentally. Rather than millions of small storage devices being created, a fewer huge clusters of storage can provide 24/7 data storage for anyone, no matter where they are in the world. Which means you also don't have servers sitting there powered up with few people using them; their use can be optimised by a global set of users. However, it will need a sea change in attitudes to data, notions of ownership, and trust.

Sea changes have happened and will continue to happen.

Those paradigm shifts ripple through the economy, society and around the globe.

Many of the old guard are in denial or holing tight to what they have.

The younger generation and smart phones have been a tidal wave that will keep rolling.

I recall when a camera with a floppy disk was a big deal.

It held many top quality photos.

Now a common quality photo is more than one meg.

The water proof tourist video and still camera provides excellent video at a cheap price.

The quality of that video is far better than the very best just a few years ago.

These tripods and torches allow a kid to make great videos anywhere.

http://joby.com/store/gorillatorch/original

RSS

© 2017   Created by Hazel Owen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service