Ethos Community

The Power Inquiry final report - Power to the ...Image via Wikipedia

In this keynote presentation from ULearn 2011 Lane Clark begins by challenging the audience with a possible vision of the youth of the near future.From this point she moves on to exploring the relationship and differences between knowing how to think and knowing how to learn, concluding that “It’s not what you know, but how you learn that’s important”. She (with gentle humour) asks questions such as: Does 'real world learning compare to school learning? Are they the same? Are there overlaps?, and cautions through a personal story that having an interest in something does not necessarily mean that it is relevant.

Weaving experiences with her own students into her overview of her take on 'real learning' which she feels is bigger than inquiry. Links to some of the resources she uses, as well as detailed notes that were taken during her session are below.

After you have watched the video, please add comments, thoughts, and ideas in the discussion below. You might also want to ask yourself:

• In your opinion, what is 'real' learning?
  • Is what your students doing authentic learning? Is it really inquiry learning?
  • How far could you and your students go together using approaches such as those suggested by Lane Clark?
  • Or are you already using some of these approaches? How are your students responding?

Inquiry Learning Toolbox - Lane Clark.pdf

Notes taken during the session

This second video, shared by John S. Oliver, is where Lane Clark  "shares her passion and her vision for teaching and learning. Lane believes that the big picture is teaching children how to learn, and challenges us to think about our vision for education and what we want to create for children".

Enhanced by Zemanta

Views: 831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and if collaboration is the key to our employment in the future.....how can you measure the imput of an individual through assessment?  People contribute in many different ways.

The dawning problem is stated well in the quote you offer here and at the article of the link.

The solution is illusive as you imply. 

@John S. Oliver - I am very excited...Lane Clark was at ICOT 2013 - a conference I recently attended in Wellington, NZ. Lane Clark was there and offered several super sessions (including this one about cognitive load and learning). After her session Lane kindly shared resources via Dropbox, and I thought to myself - this is one amazing practitioner, who is truly walking her talk.

So, I had to do a wee dance when Lane accepted the invitation to join the Ethos online community (and fingers crossed, will write an invited post for July :-p). She asked me, after reading the comments on this discussion, to also pass on to you that her Web site has been updated: http://www.laneclark.ca/. Lane mentioned that "it is much less 'static' and certainly provides info for all resources". Hope this helps.

:-p

She is one of the few people on the planet I wish there were reproduced as many clones. 

She does an amazing job of bringing wisdom and common sense to education.

The whole of society is rapid changing. 

So we cannot afford to stand still.

Instead we need great tools to deal with the complex challenges of education.

She has the tools for sale and that is good.

But if there were clones of her then they could occupy more stages and train more teachers.

Cloning might be just a little radical.

Maybe some day she will certify leaders to accurately share her systems. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Hazel Owen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service